High-end spectral filtering and processing
Scratch the surface of any synthesizer, and you’ll find the heritage of a few great brands. Buchla has been responsible for some of the most innovative, creative, and sonically spectacular electronic musical equipment ever made, Softube is proud to have such a legendary name in their Modular system. In addition to the previously released 259e Twisted Waveform Generator, take advantage of the myriad spectral processing capabilities of the big friendly filter bank; the new 296e Spectral Processor; the only software version of this module officially licensed by Buchla U.S.A.
Rare and exclusive
The 296e is one of the most expensive and exclusive hardware synth modules in the world, and for very good reason. Its complexity, versatility, and sheer quality make it legendary.
Sculpt any sound with this ultimately programmable 16-band graphic EQ. Morph between two separate modulatable response curves. Control the individual levels of each band through external incoming CV or use the internal spectral transfer (vocoding) to link the envelopes of odd and even bands with their VCAs (and vice versa). And use the “freeze” function (as a toggle-button, or externally controlled by CV) to sample and hold these values (envelope times, A levels, or B levels).
The 296e Spectral Processor is capable of a startling variety of effects, wonderful world-building from mere white noise, or the separation of musical inputs into any elemental collection of individual parts, to be reused and reimagined at will.
The center frequency of each band is pre-selected to complement the human ear’s discrimination curve, with the result that each one sounds meaningfully unique and pleasing. Its capability for intricate transformations allow it to be a real time performance filter, a programmable compound equalizer, and even a spectrum transferring vocoder.
16 band-pass filters are available, each with its own VCA on input, and envelope follower on output. They can be divided into two collections of eight, odd and even. In hardware this function can be used to split the module for use as a limited vocoder, with eight bands performing analysis and eight performing resynthesis. But of course in software you can affordably run a pair of 296e modules side-by-side, for a full 16-band spectral transfer vocoding experience. The user can adjust envelope decay times, and pre-emphasis may be applied to smooth the frequency response for even more malleable vocoding.
Special MIDI function
A special addition in our software version of the module is the ability to ‘play’ the individual filter bands using MIDI. Note values attach to the different fixed filter frequencies, while MIDI velocity data affects the amplitude value of a given band’s VCA.
Add to this the wealth of great-sounding combination options available at a single click in Softube Modular, and the Buchla 296e turns an already attractive ecosystem into a truly expansive spectrum.
- Officially licensed and endorsed by Buchla U.S.A. – the only such emulation of this rare and exclusive module.
- 16 band-pass filters, each with its own VCA and envelope follower.
- Separate envelope decay times for each band.
- Programmable graphic EQ.
- Real time performance filter.
- Morph between ‘A’ and ‘B’ level settings.
- Performs complex spectral transfer functions.
- Special new feature allows for ‘playing’ the filters with MIDI.
- Use as a vocoder, split into two banks of eight, or using two modules at once for full 16-band operation.
- Externally controllable “freeze” function stores the input spectrum as envelope values, or A and B levels, in the module’s memory.
- Multiband extraction of envelopes from audio inputs.
All native versions
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer
- Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10
- Please Note: Softube plug-ins support 64-bit hosts only, and a 64-bit OS is required.
- Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer
- Screen resolution larger than 1280x800
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended
- Softube account
- iLok account
- Internet access for downloading the plug-in (s) and managing the license(s)
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok dongle for authorizing your plug-ins
- Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo.
*Please Note: Pro Tools 10 is not officially qualified by Avid higher than OS X 10.8
AAX DSP version
- For AAX DSP you need to meet the above requirements for the Native versions. You also need to have an Avid HDX processing card. For plug-ins available for AAX DSP, see Which Softube plug-ins support AAX DSP?
This product requires an activation!
You can either "soft" activate on your computer without addditional hardware or transfer the license to an iLok USB dongle which has to be purchased separately. The iLok dongle can be used to run the protected software on different computers. Your licenses can be easily manged using the iLok Licence Manager. To protect your investment against theft or loss we recommend the iLok Zero Downtime protection with TLC.
An internet connection on any computer and a free user-accout at www.ilok.com is required to authorize the product.