Muted Dimension String Ensembles
Vienna Dimension Strings II complements the original Vienna Dimension Strings I with muted string ensembles.
- Dimension Violins (8 Players)
- Dimension Violas (6 Players)
- Dimension Cellos (6 Players)
- Dimension Basses (4 Players
This Collection is the sequel to Vienna Dimension Strings I. It contains nearly the same playing techniques, but these string instruments were exclusively recorded “con sordino” (with mutes), offering all-new sonic subtleties. Playing with mutes dampens the transmission of energy from the strings to the body of the instrument and softens or darkens the sound. The effect of these silky smooth timbres perfectly suits intimate arrangements and emotional ballads, or envelops a sensitive cue with unobtrusive intensity. An insider tip of Hollywood film composers is to blend the normal string sound with muted strings for achieving a very special broad, soft, and warm string environment.
As with Vienna Dimension Strings I, all of the human interactions and slight imperfections of a live performance have been captured. The players were recorded in four homogeneous groups (8 violins, 6 violas, 6 cellos and 4 double basses), but with dedicated microphones for each player, allowing for automatic or manual access to each individual voice and resulting in unlimited performance flexibility and authenticity.
Creating your personal string sound
The Vienna Dimension series of ensemble instrument collections opens a new chapter in the history of sampling technology. With a recording time of four years, Vienna Dimension Strings are by far the most ambitious and intensive production in the history of the Vienna Symphonic Library.
The Vienna team has even recorded each string of each instrument in its full range (approximately one octave plus a fifth), and with the included presets you may easily decide whether to have the musicians play on all strings (with a change to the next string in fifth intervals), or forced playing on a certain string. You can also choose to play with no open strings. Getting a darker or brighter string sound has never been easier and more flexible. What’s more, the technique of individual miking is perfectly suited for divisi writing as well! For the violins, preset setups for two groups of four players and four desks of two players are provided.
Stunning realism through imperfection
Over the last decade, sample libraries have become more and more “perfect”, sometimes at the expense of human feel. In reality, even the best musicians never play in perfect unison; one makes a change a little slower, another faster, but maybe with more dynamics, and so on. When playing as a group, musicians continually adapt, matching timbre, intensity, vibrato, intonation, bow speed and more. All these interactions happen automatically in a good ensemble, led by a good conductor, and reveal the “magic” of a live performance. With Vienna Dimension Strings, individual changes in dynamic levels of the players within a group can be achieved easily with velocity crossfades. You may even designate one or two “weak” musicians to play sloppy notes, with hesitant or delayed starts, for instance. Both Vienna Dimension Strings I & II include the free Vienna Instruments player.
- Four muted string sections of 8 violins, 6 violas, 6 cellos, and 4 double basses.
- Recorded in groups, but with individual microphones for each player, for unlimited individual performance flexibility.
- The full play range of each string was captured (one octave plus a fifth).
Individual Timbre and Ultimate Realism
- Sculpt your ensemble sound by adjusting level and position in the mix for each player, or desk, in order to create your personal string sound.
- Assign individual controllers such as velocity crossfade and/or expression for each player for realistic dynamic changes and customized balance within the ensemble.
- Ready-made presets for selecting the individual strings of each player of a group – “force strings” (all notes will be performed on the preferred string, e.g., for the violins: G, D, A, E), “avoid open strings” and “use open strings”.
- Free positioning of individual players or desks on a virtual stage (e.g., when using Vienna MIR PRO or Vienna MIR PRO 24, sold separately).
- Sample Amount 265,146
- Download File Size 45.4 GB
- Installed File Size 71.0 GB
- Instant Human Performance Control within the ensemble – timing and intonation of each player can be adjusted individually.
- Divisi sections with flexible groupings, e.g., 4 desks with 2 players each or 2 groups with 4 players each for the violin section.
*Upgrades and User Discounts: You already own VSL Products?
After the login you can check in the shopping cart if you are entitled for a VSL User-Discount and apply it. This works for Upgrades, Crossgrades, EDU products and also when you complete Bundles. Simply add the desired products to your shopping cart and then check for the VSL User-Discount.
Please note that all discounted user-specific orders must be processed manually by our sales team and therefore may take up to one business day to be completed.
Your purchase of any VSL library entitles you to download the free Vienna Instruments Pro player software that includes the Vienna Ensemble mixing host.
- macOS 10.13 or higher
- 64 bit
- Intel Core i5 (Intel Core i7/i9/Xeon/M1/M2 recommended)
- RAM: min. 8 GB (16GB recommended)
- Windows 10/11 or higher
- 64 bit
- Intel Core i5 / AMD Athlon Pro (Intel Core i7/i9/Xeon recommended)
- RAM: min. 8 GB (16GB recommended)
Free hard drive space according to the library size.
Vienna Symphonic Library products require you to register with the manufacturer at www.vsl.co.at and with www.ilok.com to activate your license.
This product requires an activation!
You can either "soft" activate the software on your computer without addditional hardware or transfer the license to an iLok USB dongle which has to be purchased separately. The iLok dongle can be used to run the protected software on different computers. Your licenses can be easily manged using the iLok Licence Manager. To protect your investment against theft or loss we recommend the iLok Zero Downtime protection with TLC.
An internet connection on any computer and a free user-accout at www.ilok.com is required to authorize the product. In order to download and install your software products and sample libraries authorized via iLok, please use the Vienna Assistant.
Please check with the software manufacturer which iLok version is required at least if you want to use a hardware iLok!