The most comprehensive solo string collection ever created
Christian Eisenberger, Katharina Traunfellner, Rubén Dubrovski, Martin Deuring. These four soloists have invested their life’s blood and hard-won experience (from many years of international concert work) into the Vienna Instruments. Sensitive and clear, exact and homogeneous, their performances are technically perfect and utterly convincing in their musicality. Not only are they in command of their instruments but, after several years of working for the Vienna Symphonic Library, they also know exactly what is required of them to create ideal samples. Their performances at the Silent Stage come alive again in this Vienna Instrument.
Apart from the entire sample treasury of the Horizon Series’ Solo Strings Edition, this Vienna Instrument contains many new articulations; “Zigane”, the leisurely “smeared” portamentos, are particularly impressive as Interval Performances with the new audio engine’s algorithms. Another new articulation group is the fast Interval Performances in legato, marcato, and spiccato. Additional “harsh” articulations are played with an especially raw, almost brutal attack, and now are available as superbly effective Interval and Repetition Performances. There are also special Performance Trills, repetitions in spiccato and ricochet articulations, sustains with fading vibrato, ponticello, sul tasto, and numerous natural and artificial harmonics.
Instruments: Violin, Viola, Cello, Double bass
• Interval Performances: legato, portamento, zigane (gipsy), détaché, marcato, spiccato
• Fast Interval Performances: legato, marcato, spiccato, harsh
• Performance Trills
• Interval Performance Glissandos on the same string, fast and medium speed, up and down
• Repetition Performances: legato, bow vibrato, portato (slow, medium, fast), staccato, spiccato, harsh
• Fast Repetitions and ricochet repetitions (accelerando, ritardando)
• Runs: legato, spiccato; major, minor, chromatic, whole tone
• Grace notes: normal, slow, zigane
• Glissandos: medium and fast octave glissandos on the same string
• Short notes: staccato, short détaché, long détaché, 4 variations each
• Long notes: sustains without, with medium, with progressive, with fading vibrato, espressivo; marcato
• Dynamics: various crescendos & diminuendos, with and without vibrato, fp, sfz, sffz, pfp
• Tremolos: sustains, crescendo & diminuendo
• Trills: half tone, whole tone, crescendo & diminuendo, constant speed and accelerando
• Pizzicatos: normal, secco, Bartók pizzicatos
• Col legno
• Sul ponticello: staccato, détaché, sustains, crescendos & diminuendos, sfz, sffz, tremolo, repetitions
• Sul tasto: staccato, détaché, sustains, sforzato, tremolo
• Natural harmonics: sustains, repetitions, glissandos
• Artificial harmonics: staccato, sustains, repetitions, glissandos
The Extended Library upgrade requires the registered Standard Library and offers more articulations and a significant enhanced sample content.
Standard Library: Samples 29.004 | Download Files Size 30,3 GB | Installed File Size 55,7 GB
Full Library: Samples 105.946 | Download Files Size 30,3 GB | Installed File Size 55,7 GB
So, what’s the final verdict?
VSL Solo Strings set out to provide a comprehensive library of solo string articulations with a focus on playability, ease of integration into existing templates (very dry samples, so fits anywhere with a little help from the reverb) and speed and stability. It succeeds in all those areas, and then some. If you need a solo strings library that is light enough on resources to run on a portable machine without hiccups, yet at the same time will offer you almost anything you can possibly want in terms of articulations for your solo string work, look no further!
Future Music, Platinum Award
SOS, 5 Stars
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I & II, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Coco avant Chanel, The Queen, The King’s Speech, Carnage, Renoir
“Since I’m working in Hollywood it requires a vast library and that’s why VSL is really useful.”
16-time Grammy Award winner, composer and producer of Chicago, Earth, Wind & Fire, Al Jarreau, Chaka Khan, Michael Jackson, Barbra Streisand, Natalie Cole, Whitney Houston, Céline Dion, Seal, Michael Bolton, Peter Cetera
“To have the magic of a full orchestra in breathtaking 3D sound at your fingertips is the best luxury someone like myself could hope for. Thank you VSL for an amazing product.”
Men in Black, Good Will Hunting, Planet of the Apes, Spiderman, Batman Returns, Corpse Bride, Alice in Wonderland, Mars Attacks!,The Simpsons, Desparate Housewives, Oingo Boingo)
“Vienna Symphonic Library has been the center of my orchestral sample library for several years now. I go to their library first every time I create an orchestral template when I´m beginning each film I score. And my demos sound great. I recommend this library to anybody getting into film scoring.”
Oscar and multiple Grammy Award winner
“Using Vienna Instruments puts authenticity into your pallet of sounds.”
Jochem van der Saag
Michael Bublé, Andrea Bocelli, Jackie Evancho, Josh Groban, Seal
“Vienna Symphonic Library is way ahead of the curve in terms of their sounds and their software; the combination of both musical expression and technical excellence is truly superb and unrivaled“
* Upgrade discounts:
You already own Vienna Instruments? You can check in the shopping cart (after login) if you are entitled to a relevant VSL discount and apply it!
You own a Standard Library and want to upgrade to FULL by adding the Extended Library? Again, the Standard Library will be deducted in the shopping cart. Likewise when completing bundles.
Please note that all discounted custom orders have to be processed manually by us and therefore may take up to one business day.
Your purchase of any VSL library entitles you to download the free Vienna Instruments Player software that includes the Vienna Ensemble mixing host.
- PC Windows 7/8/10 (latest update, 32/64-bit), Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2
- macOS 10.10 (latest update) or higher, Intel Core 2 Duo
- 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
- VIENNA KEY (Vienna Symphonic Library USB protection device) or other USB eLicenser (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia)
- eLicenser Control Center software (get the latest version from www.eLicenser.net)
- free hard drive space according to This Library Size Chart
Other configurations may work but are not actively supported.
- Windows 7/8/10 (latest update, 64-bit), Intel i5/i7/Xeon
- macOS 10.12 (or higher), Intel i5/i7/Xeon
- 4 GB RAM
- SSD (M2, Sata 6 or USB3/3.1 UASP Support) or separate HDD (7200 rpm or faster)
- AU/VST/AAX compatible host (also works stand-alone)
- AAX version requires Pro Tools 10.3.5 or higher
- 88 key master keyboard
Vienna Instruments require the ViennaKey!
This USB protection device by eLicenser (by Steinberg compatible) is not included in any collection, it is a separate item you have to get additionally. So you’ll have to order at least one ViennaKey or Steinberg eLicenser with your first VSL purchase. Each dongle can store up to 100 product licenses.
Additionally an internet connection on any computer is required to authorize a VSL product.