The Trident A-Range is a legendary piece of equipment. As only thirteen A-Range consoles were ever made, it remains a holy grail for sound engineers and producers around the world that hope to create works of art equal to those that were originally recorded on the A-Range — David Bowie´s Ziggy Stardust, Queen, Elton John, the list goes on...
The A-Range plug-in from Softube is the first and only native and TDM plug-in that has been fully endorsed by original designer Malcolm Toft and Trident Audio.
The plug-in is a model of a channel on one of the original 13 Trident A-Range consoles. We chose to model channel 15 from the console at Sweet Silence Studio ´B´ in Denmark, producer Flemming Rasmussen´s favorite channel for recording lead vocals. Flemming also used it for the solo and rhythm guitars on Metallica´s "Ride The Lightning" and "Master of Puppets", and Ritchie Blackmore´s guitar on the Rainbow albums "Difficult to Cure" and "Bent out of Shape".
The A-Range channel features four bands of equalization and high and low pass filters. The sound of the bands is often referred to as "colorful" and "musical". When running a hot enough signal through the original unit and boosting the bands, it is possible to get it to distort, the result is a hairy and effective saturation that is just right in some situations, and just wrong in others!
"When I tried the Softube Trident A-Range equaliser plug-in for the first time, a big smile came upon my face. It was just like getting my desk back again. It sounds exactly as I´m used to hearing the eq."
Producer, Mixer, Engineer (Metallica, Morbid Angel, Blind Guardian etc.)
"I am pleased to say that this is an incredibly accurate software recreation of my original A-Range design."
Professor Malcolm Toft
Original designer of the A-Range console at Trident Audio Developments
- Created together with original designer Malcolm Toft
- Each and every component carefully modeled
- Same sweet sounding EQ filters that made the original legendary
- Interaction between the different bands, making this equalizer one of its kind
- Saturation control
- Very CPU friendly
Delamar Sehr Gut!
PAM Award 2010
Audiofanzine 5 Stars
MusicRadar 4.5 Stars
All native versions
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer
- Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10
- Please Note: Softube plug-ins support 64-bit hosts only, and a 64-bit OS is required.
- Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer
- Screen resolution larger than 1280x800
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended
- Softube account
- iLok account
- Internet access for downloading the plug-in (s) and managing the license(s)
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok dongle for authorizing your plug-ins
- Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo.
*Please Note: Pro Tools 10 is not officially qualified by Avid higher than OS X 10.8
AAX DSP version
- For AAX DSP you need to meet the above requirements for the Native versions. You also need to have an Avid HDX processing card. For plug-ins available for AAX DSP, see Which Softube plug-ins support AAX DSP?
This product requires an activation!
You can either "soft" activate on your computer without addditional hardware or transfer the license to an iLok USB dongle which has to be purchased separately. The iLok dongle can be used to run the protected software on different computers. Your licenses can be easily manged using the iLok Licence Manager. To protect your investment against theft or loss we recommend the iLok Zero Downtime protection with TLC.
An internet connection on any computer and a free user-accout at www.ilok.com is required to authorize the product.
Please check with the software manufacturer which iLok version is required at least if you want to use a hardware iLok!