With the addition of the Upright Bass to its collections, the Vienna Symphonic Library now offers yet another instrument frequently used in jazz compositions.
The recordings were done with Bernd Konzett, a well-known jazz bassist from the Austrian state Vorarlberg. Following numerous test recordings, he equipped his 4-string, three-quarter bass with a 113 cm scale with thinner E and A strings, and thicker D and G strings... A short while thereafter, Bernd realized just how painful it can be to record for the Vienna Symphonic Library. As opposed to a several-hour-long gig at a jazz club, a glissandi recording session can be torturous, leaving the musician with veritable burns on the fingertips. The strings themselves heat up to high temperatures, resulting in regular blistering of the fingertips, leaving behind a certain smell of burned and blistered skin in the Silent Stage.
All of the articulations are pizzicato, and include staccatos, portatos and sustains with various vibrato strengths, as well as performances like legato, the above-mentioned slow and fast glissandos and tone repetitions, and also special ghost note performances which have not been available in this form until now. The Upright Bass sample set is rounded off by snaps, noises and various other effects.
* Upgrade discounts:
You already own Vienna Instruments? You can check in the shopping cart (after login) if you are entitled to a relevant VSL discount and apply it!
You own a Standard Library and want to upgrade to FULL by adding the Extended Library? Again, the Standard Library will be deducted in the shopping cart. Likewise when completing bundles.
Please note that all discounted custom orders have to be processed manually by us and therefore may take up to one business day.
Your purchase of any VSL library entitles you to download the free Vienna Instruments Player software that includes the Vienna Ensemble mixing host.
- PC Windows 7/8/10 (latest update, 32/64-bit), Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2
- macOS 10.10 (latest update) or higher, Intel Core 2 Duo
- 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
- VIENNA KEY (Vienna Symphonic Library USB protection device) or other USB eLicenser (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia)
- eLicenser Control Center software (get the latest version from www.eLicenser.net)
- free hard drive space according to This Library Size Chart
Other configurations may work but are not actively supported.
- Windows 7/8/10 (latest update, 64-bit), Intel i5/i7/Xeon
- macOS 10.12 (or higher), Intel i5/i7/Xeon
- 4 GB RAM
- SSD (M2, Sata 6 or USB3/3.1 UASP Support) or separate HDD (7200 rpm or faster)
- AU/VST/AAX compatible host (also works stand-alone)
- AAX version requires Pro Tools 10.3.5 or higher
- 88 key master keyboard
Vienna Instruments require the ViennaKey!
This USB protection device by eLicenser (by Steinberg compatible) is not included in any collection, it is a separate item you have to get additionally. So you’ll have to order at least one ViennaKey or Steinberg eLicenser with your first VSL purchase. Each dongle can store up to 100 product licenses.
Additionally an internet connection on any computer is required to authorize a VSL product.