The traditional Indian dhol is a closed shell barrel-shaped drum with a curvature to the body. It is classically played as an accompanying instrument in traditional Punjabi Bhangra, and the religious music of Sufism. For the solo dhol Indian percussion library, Soundiron captured a pair of full-sized drums, one larger and one smaller. The Dhol Drum library contains 5,147 samples and more than 110 distinct articulations, played with sticks, mallets, brushes, hands, fingers, palms and more.
Each was recorded in extraordinary detail up close in a studio. The samples of this library consist of two professional Punjabi Dhol Drums, each with distinct characteristics and tuning. These drums have goat skin bass heads and synthetic maylar treble heads:
The bass head is tuned with a single heavy nylon rope, wound around the drum through steel rings.
The treble head is tuned with a series of steel lugs and rods, typical of most modern percussion.
While the dhol is most often performed with an intensely frenetic style at louder dynamics, this library explores every nuance of these fine instruments. Soundiron recorded an extremely wide dynamic range with two different sizes of dhol, from the softest finger articulations to the most brutal stick shattering booms. They struck the hell out of these drums to push them as far as they could go, with up to 14 velocity layers and 10 round robin per note.
The treble head can produce sounds ranging from small timables to aggressive snare-like sounds, depending on the drum size, turning, mallet type, strike position and playing style. The bass head produces sounds ranging from super deep bass booms to supple bayan-like bending water drop effects with profoundly rich low-end. We also recorded wooden clacks over different areas of the drum bodies, resulting in a very well-rounded and playable all-purpose acoustic hand percussion collection.
- Bass Bends | Bass Dagga Rod | Bass Fingers & Hands | Bass Felt Mallets | Bass Hard Mallets
- Megamixer kit building interface, with customizable modules
- Dual layer tuned percussion building interface to create uniquely playable multi-layered melodic and effect instruments
- Standard Ensemble presets that put the whole library at your findertips
- Treble Thilli Stick | Treble Fingers & Hands | Treble Felt Mallets | Treble Hard Mallets
- Uberpeggiator meta-arpeggiation and roll generator system
- Rack DSP Effects, including a huge range of custom room and environmental reverb impulses.
- 22 Sustaining ambient textures, organic synth tones and atmospheres created by manipulating the original Dhol recordings
This library is designed for the full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt 5.1 or later.
Please notice: This library can not be used with the free Kontakt Player! To use this "Open Kontakt" format, you need a full version of Kontakt, which is included in products such as Komplete or Komplete Ultimate.
The minimum required Kontakt version number for this product is stated in the product description or can be found on the developer's website.
- macOS 10.14 or higher
- 64 bit
- Intel Core i5 or Apple M1 (native)
- RAM: 4GB (6GB recommended)
- Windows 10 or higher
- 64 bit
- Intel Core i5 or similar CPU
- RAM: 4GB (6GB recommended)
- Mac (64-bit only): Stand-alone, VST, VST3, AU, AAX
- Windows (64-bit): Stand-alone, VST, VST3, AAX
If you require legacy installers of Kontakt Player please refer to this Knowledge Base Article.
Soundiron products require you to register with the manufacturer at www.soundiron.com to activate your license. To use Kontakt Player Libraries you also need to register with www.native-instruments.com.
For your own protection this library is provided as individual personalized files including a Digital Water Mark - DWM!