Many "modeled" compressors are nothing more than futile attempts to get an off-the-shelf algorithm to match its hardware counterpart by tweaking a few parameters like the knee and attack/release times. But anyone who has worked with hardware compressors knows that there must be more to it. And there is.
The heritage of analog compressors very much showcases the history of electronics in the previous century. It's the deficiencies of the different designs and components that give each unit its unique character, and what started out as technical limitations have now become sought-after sounds. Simply approximating the most apparent features is not enough to capture this uniqueness. It takes a model of great complexity and accuracy to make a digital replica sound like the original with all settings and inputs.
When creating FET Compressor, Softube set out to make the most accurate emulation of the most famous solid state compressor. Instead of modeling individual features and putting them together digitally we have modeled the unit in its entirety: input and output stages, gain reduction feedback loops, bias differences of different transistors, etc. It's been by far the hardest project we have taken on, but we feel that the result speaks for itself. And hopefully it will be easier to do it the next time (yeah right).
- Modeled analog compressor, input and output stages. Modeled everything.
- Modeled "All buttons in" mode
- Continuous ratio (even between 20:1 and ALL.)
- Super fast attack time (just like the original)
- Sweet input and output stage distortion.
- Parallel compression.
- Detector low and high cut filters
- External side chain
- Stereo with synchronized gain reduction
- Very CPU friendly
Sonic Joy Award 2008
Bonedo 5 Stars
Audiofanzine 5 Stars
All native versions
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer
- Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10
- Please Note: Softube plug-ins support 64-bit hosts only, and a 64-bit OS is required.
- Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer
- Screen resolution larger than 1280x800
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended
- Softube account
- iLok account
- Internet access for downloading the plug-in (s) and managing the license(s)
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok dongle for authorizing your plug-ins
- Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo.
*Please Note: Pro Tools 10 is not officially qualified by Avid higher than OS X 10.8
AAX DSP version
- For AAX DSP you need to meet the above requirements for the Native versions. You also need to have an Avid HDX processing card. For plug-ins available for AAX DSP, see Which Softube plug-ins support AAX DSP?
This product requires an activation!
You can either "soft" activate on your computer without addditional hardware or transfer the license to an iLok USB dongle which has to be purchased separately. The iLok dongle can be used to run the protected software on different computers. Your licenses can be easily manged using the iLok Licence Manager. To protect your investment against theft or loss we recommend the iLok Zero Downtime protection with TLC.
An internet connection on any computer and a free user-accout at www.ilok.com is required to authorize the product.
Please check with the software manufacturer which iLok version is required at least if you want to use a hardware iLok!